Our philosophy can be summed up in one word: Passion.
We love what we do, and we want you to love it too! Wheeler offers a rewarding and innovative work environment. Every member of our outstanding team is a valuable asset and is treated as such. The quality of our associates is what drives our growth and sustains longer success for our tenants.
For career opportunities contact our Director of Human Resources – email
Headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, Wheeler Real Estate Investment Trust (WHLR) was formed with the primary objective of acquiring, developing, leasing, owning and managing income producing assets such as neighborhood centers, grocery-anchored centers, community centers and free-standing retail properties. WHLR’s portfolio consists of strategically selected properties that are located primarily in the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast and Southwest regions of the United States, and are generally leased by nationally and regionally recognized retailers of consumer goods (Food Lion / CVS / Kroger / Aldi). Our specialties include, but not limited to Acquisitions, Development, Leasing and Property Management.
We currently are looking to add a Leasing Associate within our Leasing Department. Benefits include, but are not limited to: health care plans, 401k, company paid life/short and long term disability, casual Friday and a great atmosphere!
Essential Job Duties
- Cultivates new and maintains existing relationships with desirable prospective tenants, including national retailers, regional and “Mom and Pop” businesses on a weekly basis.
- Leases new space, develops and executes creative and aggressive leasing strategies, which may include new leases, as well as renewals at least monthly.
- Aggressively and proactively look for new tenants to fill vacant spaces by cold calling, warm calling, e-blasts, mailings, and in person canvassing on a weekly basis.
- Canvasses markets to identify potential tenants weekly; visits existing retail facilities in the center’s immediate and neighboring communities monthly; contacts retailers by phone or in person to obtain additional information to assess retailer’s interest in leasing space weekly.
- Qualifies potential tenants by reviewing their financial statements, credit report, and checking references within a week of identification.
- Negotiates lease terms that meet or exceed budgets and that address items including, but not limited to rent, term, extra charges and construction allowances.
- Keeps immediate supervisor apprised as to all activities on a weekly basis.
- Communicates and coordinates with Property Management Department to ascertain construction estimates prior to deal submission.
- Communicates and coordinates with Legal Department to have documents prepared incorporating the terms agreed upon and appropriate to the specific property.
- Reviews weekly industry publications and local market publications for information on the retail/shopping center industry, as well as maintain local market intelligence.
- Attends leasing conventions and other industry events to represent Wheeler Real Estate Company and its properties when required.
- Responsible for opening and closing of booth at all events attended.
- Prepares center-by-center annual budgets for review and approved by Senior Management, as well as leasing and merchandising plans.
- Possess excellent sales, negotiation and closing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to demonstrate self-motivation and ability to work with minimal direction
- Ability to cultivate leads and deals for vacant spaces, quickly and under pressure
- Excellent problem solving in difficult situations
- Possess the ability to remain flexible and adapt to changing priorities with promptness, efficiency and ease while working within the structured parameters of the position
- Ability to multi-task and handle many moving pieces at one time
- Travel to properties frequently or as needed
- Team player
- Proficient in Word and Excel
- Possess general knowledge of property and construction management and real estate accounting, a plus
- Brings a perseverant and positive attitude to work every day, and is not flustered when things go wrong
- Must hold a current real estate license
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience of commercial real estate leasing experience required